Taco night is always fun at our house and I love to make delicious and healthy tacos that we all enjoy! You can serve all different toppings and everyone can build their own taco to suit their tastes. A delicious and fairly easy meal that is enjoyed by the whole family!
Serves: 4 to 5
Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (recipe below)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- shredded lettuce
- grated cheddar cheese or Colby jack
- sour cream
- taco sauce
- 1 can fat-free refried beans mixed with 1/4 cup salsa (and slightly heated)
- guacamole or diced avocado
- green onions (sliced)
- chopped jalapenos
- taco shells (hard or soft)
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat, then add ground beef. Cook until brown. Add 1 tablespoon (or more if desired) taco seasoning to the meat, along with about 1/2 cup water, and cook over low-heat until water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Keep warm.
- Heat taco shells, (For soft tacos, wrap in tin-foil and place in a 300 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes, for hard shells, follow directions on box), and then serve with meat and other toppings, assembling tacos or taco salad at the table. Yum!!
Taco Seasoning Mix
I found this recipe a few years ago from Whole Foods and adapted it, and it has completely replaced the store-bought taco seasoning. Whenever I would use the seasoning in the package I always felt that something was missing. This is great to make up and keep on-hand in an air-tight container. It is worth the few extra seconds that it takes to make this, and I promise you won’t be disappointed. I use this for tacos, fajitas, or whenever taco seasoning is called for.
*Use about 2 tablespoons for each pound of meat. I sometimes use more depending on the meal.
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder (or 6 tablespoons minced onions)
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon natural brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 to 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Stir all ingredients together and store in an air-tight container until ready to use.