The other day I saw a recipe in Parents Magazine, that was for a white-bean stew with pasta that looked delicious. However, after looking closely at the ingredients, I wasn’t crazy about their recipe, but was excited to create my own. I love coming up with my own recipes, and that is exactly what I did with this quick and easy soup. It is healthy, hearty, and sooo tasty. *Update* check out my latest version of White Bean Soup at my new site http://elizabethshome.com/white-bean-soup-tomatoes-spinach-pasta/
Serves: 4 to 6 Time: 55 minutes
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cannelini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes and juices
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water- as needed
- 3 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup ditalini pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- In a Dutch oven or large sauce pan, heat olive oil until shimmering, then add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add beans, tomatoes, broth and water, and stir. Simmer on medium heat for about 30 minutes, until the broth has thickened and reduced a bit, stirring occasionally.
- Add pasta and cook for about 10 minutes or until pasta is almost tender. Then add spinach and cook for another 5 minutes or until spinach has wilted. Remove from heat and serve with Parmesan cheese on top, and with hot, crispy French bread and butter.