Just like snickerdoodles are my Dad’s favorite Christmas cookies, Kifflings are my mom’s. This has been one of our classic family Christmas cookies for years. My mom has made these since I was little and we all love them. Last year William and I made a huge batch of them, and the year before that, my sister made them for us when she came to visit us and newborn William in Atlanta. These cookies are fun to make for all ages, and can be enjoyed anytime, but are especially fun around Christmas.
Makes: About 2 or 3 dozen Time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 pound walnuts, coarsely ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together butter and sugar, add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, walnuts and salt. Then add flour mixture to butter mixture and mix together.
- Shape into small balls and place on baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Do not brown. Cool on pan. While still warm, roll in powdered sugar and then place on cooling rack to chill fully.