I created these little rice cupcakes yesterday since my two year old has been sick this past week and has been refusing to eat most things. He loves rice, and I wanted to make something fun for him, and sneak in a little protein. He seemed to love the look of them and enjoyed playing with them for a few minutes, and even ate a few bites before asking to go to bed. Compared to what he ate the night before, these were definitely a success in my mind. Not to mention the fact that my husband and I both loved these, too! We both devoured a few as an appetizer. With a creamy center, and slightly crunchy top, these mini cheesy rice cups were a hit for the whole family!
Makes: 12 mini cups
Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup crushed Ritz crackers
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add water, rice, butter, salt and onion to small sauce pan, and stir. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes until rice is almost done.
- Remove from heat and add Parmesan, cheddar, and salt and pepper. Stir together to combine.
- Add about a tablespoon amount of the rice mixture into the bottom of a 12 count mini-muffin pan, coated with cooking spray, and gently press down. Then sprinkle the crushed crackers over the tops. Spray the tops of the crackers with cooking spray to give them a light coating.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 to 15 or until crackers are slightly golden brown. Let rest for 5 minutes, then gently remove from pan and enjoy.