Today I made these meatballs for my fairly picky, almost 18 month old. I was in need of anything that he would eat and I remembered these. My mom made meatballs for him a few months ago he just loved them. I couldn’t get in touch with her today, but decided that I could create my own meatball recipe that would be similar to hers. I guess I succeeded because he gobbled them right up at dinner tonight! They were really quick and easy to make and after trying them, I would definitely make them again to serve for an adult dinner, too. (These can also be individually frozen for a quick, easy toddler meal.)
Makes: About 12 meatballs Time: 25 minutes
- 1 pound (organic) ground beef
- 1 tablespoon minced onions- plus a few shakes for cooking
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon ketchup- plus 1/2 cup more for cooking
- crushed croutons (about 3 or 4 tablespoons) or bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese- plus a few shakes for cooking
- 1/8 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup water
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ground beef and all ingredients (except oil and water),using a fork at first, and then by hand.
- Heat olive oil in pan over medium-high heat. While pan heats, shape meat into 12- 2 inch balls and place into pan. Turn as necessary until cooked through.
- Once cooked, add on top of meatballs: 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/3 cup water, a few shakes of minced onions, and a few shakes of Parmesan cheese.
- Stir together gently to coat meatballs. Cook until sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes.