I’ve made chicken noodle soup many times before, but when I needed to whip something up in a flash for a sick husband, I modified a new recipe from Cooks Illustrated and the results were awesome! Next time I might use my own chicken and do it myself, but in a pinch a rotisserie chicken from Costco along with all natural chicken stock was quick and easy and tasted great. I love chicken noodle soup and am a very tough critic, but even with a rotisserie chicken, this soup is absolutely delicious.
Serves: 8 Time: 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 pieces
- 4 ribs celery, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 quarts all-natural chicken stock
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups wide egg noodles
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the onion, (garlic if using), carrots, and celery and cook until slightly softened,3 to 4 minutes. Cover and cook until carrots are softer, about 10 minutes. Stir in the thyme, stock, and chicken. Bring to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the noodles and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Off the heat, stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.