I really love this recipe. It’s an original that I’ve been working to perfect, and I think this is it! The Hubby and I were thrilled with the end result. It can be served for any meal, but I’ve made it for dinner twice and served it with a salad on the side. It’s healthy and filling but also a fun change to the typical dinner fare. The leftovers also make for a yummy breakfast or lunch.
Serves: 4 to 6 Time: 25 minutes (plus baking time)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion- minced
- 1 10 oz. package frozen spinach- thawed and water squeezed out
- 4 large eggs, plus 4 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 dashes nutmeg (optional)
- salt and pepper
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in pan until hot, then add onions and a dash of salt and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Then add spinach and cook for 2 more minutes, breaking up spinach while cooking. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk eggs together in medium sized bowl, then whisk in milk. Stir in the spinach mixture, and then stir in the cheese. Season generously with salt and pepper, and add a dash or two of nutmeg if desired.
- Pour mixture into a 9-inch pie pan coated generously with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees until set and not runny, for about 50-55 minutes, or until done. Let cool in pan on wire rack for a few minutes before serving.